When starting an effectiveness review, the systematic review team develops an analytic framework. The analytic framework illustrates how the intervention approach is thought to affect public health. It guides the search for evidence and may be used to summarize the evidence collected. The analytic framework often includes intermediate outcomes, potential effect modifiers, potential harms, and potential additional benefits.
Analytic Framework [PDF - 29.6 MB] – see Figure 1 on page S10
Summary Evidence Table – Effectiveness Review [PDF -216 kB]
Contains evidence from reviews of home-based multi-trigger, multicomponent environmental interventions for adults and for children and adolescents
The number of studies and publications do not always correspond (e.g., a publication may include several studies or one study may be explained in several publications).
Barton A, Basham M, Foy C, Buckingham K, Somerville M. The Watcombe Housing Study: the short term effect of improving housing conditions on the health of residents. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2007;61(9):771-7.
Brown MD, Reeves MJ, Meyerson K, Korzeniewski SJ. Randomized trial of a comprehensive asthma education program after an emergency department visit. Annals of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology 2006;97(1):44-51.
Smith JR, Mildenhall S, Noble MJ, Shepstone L, Koutantji M, Mugford M, et al. The Coping with Asthma Study: a randomized controlled trial of a home based, nurse led psychoeducational intervention for adults at risk of adverse asthma outcomes. Thorax 2005;60(12):1003-11.
The following outlines the search strategy for home-based multi-trigger, multicomponent environmental interventions for adults and for children and adolescents.
With the assistance of a CDC librarian, the team searched for published studies in the following databases: MEDLINE, Cochrane Library, CINAHL, PsychINFO, Web of Science, EMBASE, ERIC, and Sociological Abstracts. The team also searched bibliographic reference lists and accepted suggestions of studies from members of the team.
The team considered studies for inclusion if they:
- Were primary research published in a journal or a technical or government report
- Were published in English
- Met minimum research quality criteria for study design and execution—specifically, using designs with before-and-after comparisons in the intervention group at least or comparisons across two groups receiving different levels of intervention
- Were community-based
- Evaluated one of nine identified asthma interventions
- Addressed secondary or tertiary prevention
Studies for home-based environmental interventions were considered if they also:
- Included at least one home visit
- Were multicomponent
- Were multi-trigger
- Evaluated one or more outcomes of interest
The team searched for and accepted for possible inclusion studies published from 1966 to February 2008.
Search Terms (Medline)
Database: MEDLINE (OVID) 722 results
Note: Search was the same for the other databases with the exception of terminology (such as use of exp, and Boolean terms) which was adapted according to database requirements.
- (exp asthma/ or asthma.mp)
- exp Bronchial Hyperreactivity/mo, nu, pc, ec, ep, th
- *Respiratory sounds/nu, pc, ep, th
- (wheeze or reactive airway$).mp.
Home Interventions to Reduce Environmental Triggers
- (trigger and (reduce or reduction$)).mp. [mp=title, original title, abstract, name of substance word, subject heading word]
- exp dust/ or exp allergens/
- (reduce or reduction$).mp. [mp=title, original title, abstract, name of substance word, subject heading word]
- 7 and 8
- 6 or 9
- exp air pollution, indoor/lj, ec, pc, sn or *dust mites/
- allergen level$.mp.
- exp Patient Education/ or exp Health Education/mt, ec, og, ed, st, sn, lj, ut or exp "Patient Acceptance of Health Care"/sn
- exp Environmental Remediation/ae, an, lj, ec, mt, st
- exp intervention studies/
- 14 or 15
- 16 and 17
- environmental control.mp.
- exp Inhalation exposure/
- exposure reduction$.mp.
- 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 or 18 or 19 or 20 or 21
- 5 and 9
- 5 and 10
- 23 or 24
- Randomized Controlled Trials/ or randomized trial$.mp. or program$.mp.
- controlled trial$.mp.
- impact$.mp. or exp Sickness Impact Profile/
- study effectiveness.mp.
- effectiveness of study.mp.
- effectiveness of stud$.mp.
- exp Program Evaluation/ or evaluation$.ab.
- trial$.mp. or "Randomized Controlled Trial [Publication Type]"/
- case report$.mp. or exp "Case Reports [Publication Type]"/
- comment$.mp. or exp "Comment [Publication Type]"/
- letter$.mp. or exp "Letter [Publication Type]"/
- newspaper article$.mp. or exp "Newspaper Article [Publication Type]"/
- news.mp. or exp "News [Publication Type]"/
- drug approval/ or drug evaluation/ or neurotic disorders/ or antibodies, monoclonal/ or randomized controlled trials/ or "United States Food and Drug Administration"/ or research design/ or clinical trials/
- drug$ trial$.mp. or placebos/
Asthma and included study designs/evaluations
- 5 and 34
Asthma + Home Interventions
- 5 and 25
Asthma + Home Interventions
Asthma + any of the above interventions or study designs-excluded study designs